A cholera outbreak has struck Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state, which is already struggling with floods that have displaced nearly 2 million people, an official said on Friday.
Cholera is common in Borno, the center of a 15-year Islamist insurgency that has pushed thousands into camps, overwhelming sanitation and water supplies.
Borno Health Commissioner Baba Mallam Gana reported 17 confirmed cases of cholera with no deaths so far.
“We are seeing a rise in Acute Watery Diarrhea (AWD) and suspected cholera cases, likely linked to the flood damage,” Gana said.
Nearly 500 AWD cases have been recorded, with five local government areas hardest hit.
The flooding began when a dam overflowed after heavy rains, displacing millions and damaging health facilities and infrastructure.
Borno Health Commissioner Baba Mallam Gana stated that the state received 300,000 doses of the oral cholera vaccine (OCV) from the federal health ministry to address the ongoing outbreak.
These doses have already been distributed across camps for displaced people and flood-affected communities.
Gana added that the state is awaiting an additional 600,000 vaccine doses to ensure sufficient coverage for the affected population.
Borno has been severely impacted by floods triggered by the overflow of a dam following heavy rainfall, which has displaced nearly 2 million people and caused widespread destruction of homes and infrastructure.
The flooding has worsened sanitation issues, creating ideal conditions for the spread of cholera.
Health teams are working to improve water quality and sanitation in these areas while the vaccination efforts continue to mitigate the spread of the disease.
YOU MAY ALSO READ: Kenya requests IMF corruption and governance review as debt concerns grow
Got a Question?
Find us on Socials or Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.